Saturday, July 07, 2012

prayer beads

"The word bead is derived from the Anglo-Saxon bidden ("to pray") and bede ("prayer"). During the medieval period, when jewelry was discouraged by the church, rosaries were acceptable as convenient portable devices for counting prayers. Their purpose was to assist the worshiper in accurately repeating from memory the correct number of prayers and incantations required by his faith."

.."It is perhaps through the use of rosaries, circlets of prayer beads, that people have achieved their most profound and complete relationship with beads"...

Lois Sherr Dubin , The History of Beads

"Beads are miniature bundles of secrets waiting to be revealed..."
Robert K. Liu


A few months ago, Lindsay from Alien Beadings, told me about some malas she was making and that she wanted to give me one... so she sent me some photos and asked me to pick one... tough choice... I think I ended up telling her... they're all gorgeous... just pick one for me... guess what... she sent the three...
Look at those beauties... Lindsay loves beads... and she collects them... and I'd love to see her stash...  If you want to read more about the process of making them, she wrote a blog post about it THERE and she even has a couple of malas for sale in her shop... THANK YOU LINDSAY! :)


 And since she's a generous person, when I asked her if I could make malas for friends, using her design, she said "yes, of course"... so I did...  the second one on the right is living with her now...  and the other ones already met their owners...

Been experimenting with various materials... I'll show some stuff soon... been visiting interesting people too, will visit them soon again... this time with my camera so I can share with you all...

2 comments:

Mo Crow said...

such beautiful work and words about the power of beads, I have always loved the Japanese netsukes for their dual nature of holding beauty in the hand as well as being a toggle.

stregata said...

I have been exploring the fascination of prayer beads also. Love your malas.